We are all traveling more now than our ancestors. We travel all over the world and only think of the jet lag, and not the vast distances we cover. Our world has become smaller and more affordable. And this is a good thing. It helps us to understand different cultures, different people with different ways of living and working. But there are some important things you should always check before setting off.
1. It may seem obvious, but many people do not bother to figure out the most basic things about the country they will be traveling to. You must do this to avoid surprises or disappointments.
2. Check on the type of weather you will find where you are going. If you live in Florida and travel to northern Greenland, you will be in for a shock unless you know that the weather is much cooler normal there.
3. Ensure that health and general insurance you have (you have, right?) Enough for your purposes.
4. Do you have all the paperwork and documentation required for your trip? If not, get it!
5. Is there a disease where you will need immunizations are you going? Check and find out before getting hit.
6. If you plan to drive in the place you intend to travel to, check that you have received the license. You may need an international driving license, for example. And if you are familiar with the local driving laws where you going? If not, a familiar, fast.
7. Finally, the most obvious of all: is your passport up to date? And if not, do you have enough time to update before you leave? You will be surprised, amazed even, at how many people get this wrong.